February 20, 2010

seemingly unpretty

This recipe might sound like the utter opposite of anything you'd care to eat on a lazy Saturday morning.  If I didn't have such an affinity for cilantro, I'd probably agree.  But since I do, and because I once again found myself with a huge bunch of leftover sprigs taking up space on a shelf in the fridge, just aching to be torn, chopped, infused with, tied up into a bouquet and stuffed into a mason jar, anything but wasted, I decided I was going to incorporate the sweet leaves into my breakfast come hell or high water.  Cilantro pancakes are a bit weird even for me, and I wasn't digging the idea of cilantro infused oatmeal.  But then I found this lovely thing.  An Indian version of scrambled eggs with butter, onion, cilantro, and jalapeño.  Sold.      




Ekuri
from Complete Indian Cooking

You'll need:
4 T butter
1 onion (chopped finely)
2 fresh green chiles (chopped finely)
8 eggs, lightly beaten with 2 T water (my instinct is to substitute water with heavy cream.  Don't do it with this recipe.  Water works just fine)
1 T finely chopped cilantro leaves
salt to taste

Melt the butter in a pan over medium-low heat.  Add the onion and fry until deeply golden.  Add the chili pepper to the pan and fry for another 30 seconds.  Then add eggs, cilantro, and salt.  Cook over low heat, stirring the eggs until scrambled and set.  Garnish with a few additional chopped cilantro leaves.

Serves 4, or 2 if you're sharing with me.

No comments: