February 22, 2010

a recent fixation

I've been on a ginger kick lately.  Oh fine, who am I kidding.  This kick has lasted most of my life.  Which is why it comes as quite a surprise to me that prior to last night I have never attempted to make a candied version.  Or liquid!  Sometimes a small Sunday night success is all you need to make a Monday morning more palatable, if even only slightly. 















Candied Ginger (and ginger syrup)
found on cdkitchen.com

you'll need:
1 cup fresh ginger, peeled and sliced about 1/8" thick
3 cups water
3 cups sugar

Combine sugar and water in a pan and heat until sugar is completely dissolved. 

Add the ginger and let simmer for 45 minutes.  You'll know the ginger is ready when it's mildly sweet, very tender, and the color of melted caramel.

Drain the ginger but preserve the liquid.  (Now, my loves, do whatever you have to do to remember what I'm about to tell you.  Write it on a post-it, tie a string around your finger, set an alarm, I don't care, just do not pour this syrup down the drain!  Promise me you won't.  It's the best part of this whole process.  Save it for ice cream, yogurt, oatmeal, coffee, or tea.  You'll be really happy you did).

Place ginger on a rack to dry.  After about 30 minutes, toss with a generous amount of sugar and finish drying.

One more note about that slick and sinful ginger syrup.  You want to store it in a container, something airtight, and it'll crystallize naturally.  Just add water and boil to melt it to liquid again.  Play with the proportions of water so that your desired consistency is achieved.  I like a thicker consistency, something I can drizzle like honey over whatever I so choose.

No comments: